Monday, September 26, 2005

On being 45

Yesterday (September 25th), was my 45th birthday. Yes, that right, on that day in 1960 I entered the world just before 2am on a bright Sunday morning. (There has been much contemplation on which 2am I was actually born. In those days, the switch from Daylight Saving Time to Standard Time occured at 2am, the last Sunday of September. So was it 1:50 am PDT or 1:50 am PST? My mother, now deceased, was too busy to notice. It's a good thing I don't believe in Astrology -those star charting folks would have a devil [who I think is most happy when people believe in that nonsense instead of the Creator of the stars, BTW] of a time trying to figure it out.)
As always, I contemplate whether or not I have fulfilled the promise of that new life begun 5 decades ago. However, that promise was not made to my parents, nor even was it made directly to me. Instead, have I lived my life these 45 years in a way that honors the One who "created my inmost being, [who] knit me together in my mother's womb..., made me in the secret place... When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, [Whose] eyes saw my unformed body."
Often, I have disappointed Him, other times I have delighted Him. But, God willing, should I live another 45 years on this earth, I pray that the moments of delight outweigh His disappointments.

No comments: