Saturday, October 15, 2005

What Kind Of American English Do I Speak?



Your Linguistic Profile:



55% General American English

20% Upper Midwestern

15% Yankee

10% Dixie

0% Midwestern


Very interesting since I am a third generation southern Californian. My maternal grandparents were both from the Southwest -although my grandmother was born in Oklahoma territory before migrating as a small child to Texas then New Mexico. My grandfather was born in territory of eastern New Mexico, his dialect was similar to a Texas dialect.
My paternal great-grandparents were German (3) and Norwegian(1) and did not teach their children their native tongues after immigrating to the Los Angeles area over 100 years ago. I don't understand where the Yankee or Upper Midwestern liguistic profile comes from in my background unless that is how the Californian dialect was formed.

No comments: