Thursday, December 07, 2006

Dating Jesus????

This was the title of an article posted on Christianity Today Online. Agnieszka Tennant, the author of this article, writes of the trend to take the "Jesus as the Bridegroom" too far. She tells of a popular book that speaks of women cooking dinner and setting the table for two - for the woman and her "date" Jesus. The rest of the article describes women who have taken their relationship with Christ to places that, at best, sound creepy.

I think it's great that someone would have an intense love for our Savior, but it is weird to turn that into a quasi-romantic "dating" relationship with Him.

I'd love to hear comments.

4 comments:

Laura Springer said...

This is so utterly creepy and theologically disturbing that an intelligent response--something other than ewwwww! get a therapist!--will require more thought.

(bug me if I've not put in my two cents by monday night)

Joy said...

Wow! This is going way too far! In the first place, the CHURCH is the bride of Christ- not individuals! I'm not sure where this theology is coming from? Deperate women who need a date?

Jeff said...

And all this time I thought it was an excuse not to go out with me...

Ann said...

I used to tease Laura about St. Theresa of Avila's description of her relationship with Christ as being "sex with Jesus". I think Theresa is tame compared with the article's depiction of Catherine of Sienna.
What is really bizarre is to google "Dating Jesus" - you get this guy saying he's Jesus and wanting dates, a Catholic lady saying its a good idea tha Protestant women are adopting the Catholic mystics' view of the "Bridal Paradigm", plus comments on "torch songs to Jesus" that pass themselves off as worship tunes.